This week definitely saw an uptick in meaningful content consumption. I also managed to finish a book I’ve been reading. Unfortunately I’m well behind in my Goodreads goal of 36 books this year. Going to be some work to make the stretch in the back half of the year.
Here are a couple of things I’ve done to help move the needle a bit in overall consumption:
- Be less “precious” about it. Have 5 minutes here or there? Read a blog post, listen to 5 minutes of an episode.
- Use my mobile device(iPhone 8) to enter quick notes/thoughts, and log anything I’ve listened or read.
Hopefully everyone is staying healthy and safe. Enjoy your weekend.
- JAMStack Content Management with Scott Gallant, Jordan Patterson, and Nolan Phillips - Software Engineering Daily - This blog runs on a “JAMStack”. This podcast talks about wrapping a traditional Wordpress-like CMS around it. I think this shows that this platform has a long term viability for publishing.
- Hugh Howey: Winning at the Self-publishing Game The Knowledge Project Ep. #63 - I’ve considered publishing longer-form things like books before, and this was a really great episode around self-publishing.
- Explainable AI and AI interpretability - Towards Data Science - Quick dive on the need to make AI/ML more explainable. No one wants to have their self-driving car be non-transparent about how it decides to treat pedestrians.
- Bill Ackman: Getting Back Up The Knowledge Project Ep. #82 - I didn’t realize it until I was more than halfway done with the episode, but Bill Ackman famously shorted Herbalife in a very public way.
- #86 – David Silver: AlphaGo, AlphaZero, and Deep Reinforcement Learning | MIT | Artificial Intelligence Podcast - I always like hearing from the folks involved with AlphaZero/AlphaGo. The ramifications of self-play with AI are immense.
- Best Practices for Working with Configuration in Python Applications - This was a great tutorial on a different way to think about config in Python applications. I’m definitely going to apply some of this on my next Python project.
- My First Year as a Freelance AI Engineer - Interesting article on breaking out on your own as a freelance AI engineer. FWIW, I also don’t think he charges enough.
- Rules of thumb for a 1x developer - This was a great read by a guy who is definitely not a 10x developer. I’d argue he’s a 10x writer though.
- How To Find a SaaS Idea - This is an article I’m going to re-read several times. Lays out some really good guidelines on how to think about productizing something.
- Ad Aged: Good writing is a business advantage - Writing is a super power when it comes to business. Strong communication skills are always in demand.
- Something Deeply Hidden: Quantum Worlds and the Emergence of Spacetime - This was one of the first books I’ve read that actually helped me understand some of the fundamental ideas around quantum mechanics, including the notion of what an “oberserver” is, and what constitutes “observation”.